Sunday, April 6, 2008

European Trade Mission ...

This week I accompanied the Mayor of Long Beach and a few executives from the Port of Long Beach on their European Trade Mission.


It was a great learning experience given that I have never really thought about how ports work and how much has to happen for us to get all of our stuff. I learned about "cold ironing" and more than I ever wanted to know about low sulfur fuel and hydrogen-powered buses. We had a pretty hectic schedule including Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Hamburg (and Marseilles next week) but I managed to do a bit of exploring in each city. I had forgotten how nice of a city Amsterdam in particular is and how nice the people there are. Maybe there's something to letting people do drugs and have sex freely ...


To see some images from Amsterdam, click HERE


To see some images of Hamburg, click HERE

And finally, a few images of the week ...

The Port of Rotterdam

High Tech Command Center in Rotterdam

No comments: