Sunday, April 20, 2008

Overreaction, Hanging Meats and I Don't Know What

This time of year, when the cherry blossoms are in full bloom, where almost daily Paris gets intermittent rain followed by brilliant sunshine, people seem to overreact ... with what they wear and what how they act.


At the first sign of sunshine, people flock to the cafe terraces and public squares and then scamper back to shelter when the rain comes. It can almost seem manic sometimes. I suspect people are so tired of winter that they overreact to the first signs of Spring - trying to sit "en terasse" and wear t-shirts like when it's really Spring. We see this same overreaction when winter starts as well - one cold day in say October and many people bring out their big coats and scarfs when its really not at all necessary.

Had dinner at a nice restaurant near Saint Germain de Pres and had a new experience - hanging meat.


I ordered a brochette of beef and when it arrived at my table, they hung it vertically from a big hook. I'm not really sure what the purpose of this was. Anyone out there know? At first I thought it was to make it easier to take the meat off the skewer but the distance between the end of the skewer and my plate made it highly likely that the dislodged meat chunk would jettison off my plate before I could stop it. Maybe it was just to show off the meat.

And I don't really know what this is but I like it:



Some photos of the week:

Hope not many people ordered this

It's inevitable

Encouragement?

Mayor of Paris - Betrand Delanoe

More hanging meat

No comments: